Monday, May 7, 2012

A Scorpion and an Awesome P-Day

Dear family and friends,
 
         I cannot wait for Mother's Day! I'm so excited to call you guys! Mother's Day is on Sunday and I'll probably be calling anywhere from 2:30 - 4:00 p.m. Elder Catlett, one of the missionaries I live with and one of my zone leaders, is going home at the end of transfers, which will be next week. He has eight more days of his mission left. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Elder Catlett's one of the coolest missionaries I've ever gotten to know. It'll be so sad for him to leave! 
 
        For the first time on my mission President Taylor had us come in after 6 on Cinco de Mayo. That's a smart idea considering that I'm living in an area with a large Hispanic population. One random Hispanic guy talked to us from his truck and even suggested getting off the street by evening because of all the "festive activities" that go on during Cinco de Mayo. Elder Buttars (a.k.a Elder Montequillas) and I decided to celebrate. Elder Buttars made nachos and I bought two Little Caesar's pizzas: One for me and one for everybody else. That night one of our zone leaders found a scorpion in their bathroom. Scorpions are pretty stupid so they put it in a bowl thinking that since the scorpion couldn't get out (scorpions can't crawl like spiders can) it would just commit suicide since scorpions do stuff like that. This scorpion turned out to be smarter than the average ones I've been hearing about because it just waited inside the bowl until Elder Catlett accidently knocked the bowl over setting the scorpion free. Elder Catlett stabbed it with a fork so it's dead but a freed scorpion had us freaked out. 
 
         So the talks Elder Buttars and I gave in sacrament meeting a couple of weeks ago must have made a bigger impact than we thought because one of the members gave us a referral. This is a solid referral too bytheway who came to church, already had a Book of Mormon and is very excited to meet with us! You know that you're doing well when the members trust you. Elder Buttars and I were very happy at that prospect. Another way we've been gaining trust is by helping the ward visit "unidentify members". They're literally members on the records that the ward has no idea who they are or if they even live there. Every time we report back the auxiliaries just love us for it and we gain even more trust with the members. One of the people on that list set up a return appointment with us. She cancelled the appointment but she left us cookies on her doorstep along with a typed letter that said "I apologize profusely for cancelling". Kudos to her! She's the best appointment canceller I've come across on the mission. 
 
       The weather this week was pretty good, which impressed me. My Camelbak weighs a ton but it makes all the difference in the world when you don't have to worry about water or about overheating. I already look like a dark-skinned Lamanite and summer's barely starting. Since this is Elder Catlett's last p-day he's treating us out to this Mexican place called Rubio's and since our zone broke it's record for numbers of baptisms during April someone from the mission office is coming down with a caravan load of pies. Plus we're playing volleyball today instead of basketball. Did I mention that this p-day was going to be awesome? Well it is. 
 
          Anyway I look forward to Mother's Day!
 
          Love,
 
           Elder Boothe

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elder Boothe - Earlier today I emailed you that I wasn't getting your blogs. Ryan to the rescue. I now have read the two I couldn't get. Oh, so great! You are having such wonderful times that you will never forget. When the "spirit wraps itself around you", it is an AMAZING thing. Keep up the good blogs. Looking forward to Mothers' Day. Love you, GmaB.

    ReplyDelete