Dear family and friends,
As of Wednesday I am now serving on the border between two
cities known as Tolleson and Avondale. This area, like my third area,
is a big geographical mess. I live in Tolleson but do most of my work in
Avondale. The city of Phoenix is close to where I work but not close
enough. I got transferred to a car area so now I have AC. YAY! However, I
do hope that I don't gain weight now that I'm not on a bike as much.
When I was in South Phoenix I heard from all the other missionaries that
the scale we used wasn't accurate. I weighed myself on a different
scale here and it said I weigh 183 pounds! BOOO! Guess I haven't lost as
much weight as I thought I did. I live in consecrated housing which is
nice. Get this: I live with the Archuleta's! Sadly enough they are not
related to David. Yes that was the first question I asked them when I
found out that was their name. Brother Archuleta's cool though! He does
our laundry, if we don't do it and he's currently a stay-at-home dad
since he lost his job. His wife works all-day as a nurse. He don't see
her often. They have an older son living with them who reminds me of a
quiet Kevin Escobar. For those of you who know Kevin Escobar use your
imagination on what this guy is like. It will be a very accurate
picture.
For the first time in my mission I'm the senior companion!
My companion has only been out for 5 months. His name is Elder Wood.
He's from Logan, Utah just like Elder Buttars, except Elder Wood does
not know who Elder Buttars is. I am his second companion. He just got
done "killing off" his trainer. I'm his second companion. We have very
little in common. This could be a very long transfer. This area has a
bunch of potential, especially since there's a lot of part-member
families. Those have traditionally been a reliable source of baptisms
for me. Hee Hee Hee!
The members here are PHENOMENAL! Yesterday this one
sister gave us a giant cooler full of food. We have a very small space
to put our food in the Archuleta fridge so space is an actual issue in
this area. This sister gave us enough food to last us the entire
transfer! That's amazing! Plus when we had dinner with another member
family they gave us a big portion of the left overs of the 5 Cosco
pizzas that they fed us. HOLY COW! I never remember Cosco pizza tasting
so good before. WOW! The stake president in the West Maricopa stake (I
am in the West Maricopa zone) decided to buck the dinner policy so
we eat in members homes almost every day. This provides lots of
opportunities to build trust with members. It also means that I won't
have to shop for food for a while. YAY! I now have to get used to having
two wards to serve in again. Being in the South Mountain ward threw me
out of the loop. Now I'm getting back to having 5 hours of church on
Sunday again.
I'm glad to hear that all is well with you.
Love,
Elder Boothe
P.S. One of the bishops told me that this area is a "missionary
graveyard" meaning that this area is usually the last area for most
missionaries before they go home. Oh joy. I wonder if I'll keep that
trend going.
Hey, it's Sis. Schofield, just catching up with your adventures. I'm delighted to hear you've been eating pizza--I know that's one of your favorites! A tender mercy!
ReplyDelete