Monday, August 13, 2012

Peoria

Dear family and friends,
 
          As I mentioned in my last e-mail I have been transferred (thank heaven) from Tolleson and have moved to Peoria. My new companion is Elder Kelley! This is really cool because we already served around each other prior to being made companions! In other words we already know each other. We were both in Surprise way the heck back in the early days of our missions. I had just been transferred from Cottonwood and Elder Kelley just got into the mission field. I remember watching his trainer, Elder Beard, introducing him. Elder Kelley's only one transfer behind me so he's a very experienced missionary who knows his stuff. He's from Spokane, Washington (techincally he's from Elk but hey who knows where that's at right?) and he's a genius when it comes to cars and computers. He worked as a diesel mechanic before coming out on the mission and he sold his '68 Camaro in order to come out here. I already knew this before we were made companions but I figured that you didn't. He knows a ton of things about the gospel and I've learned a thing or two from him already! He's been in this area for about 7 months and I'm his fourth companion in this area. He figures that he's getting transferred after this. I think it's pretty logical for him to assume that. I am so grateful that he's not form Utah and I am equally as grateful that I got an experienced missionary as a companion. Since I already know him and have taught with him on companion exchanges we shouldn't be having too many problems adjusting to each other.
 
           Ok so the coolest thing happened Saturday evening! After having a delightfully busy day we had some members take us home and we saw a tricked out Ghostbusters van riding in the opposite lane from us. These guys dress up as Ghostbusters at different Comic-Cons and raise money for charity. Apparently these guys were on their way home from a Comic-Con event when they got pulled over by some cops who were flashing their sirens! We couldn't believe our eyes: The Ghostbusters got busted! We drove up to get a closer look. We were right at the parking lot where the Ghostbusters vehicle got pulled over. There was another cop car that drove around to try and head these guys off while yet another car came flying in their rear. Elder Kelley and I got as close as we could to the vehicle and the cops and not only did we take pictures but we also took videos of the thing! It turned out that the guys liscense plate expired. It was nothing big. I'm sure the cops just wanted to take a picture of the van. After the officers let these guys leave they walked over toward the car we were riding in (there were members dropping us off) and they explained the situation to us. Here's a small excerpt of what the cop said:
 
              "I'll give you two options: I either write you up or you let me take a picture of your vehicle". I'm sure you can imagine what option the Ghostbusters guys went for. Right after it happened we drove back toward the members home where our bikes were (I'm in another bike area) and the the members' daughter posted the pictures and a video on Facebook! I wonder what kind of response she got. It was pretty epic!
 
               Yesterday Elder Kelley and I gave a FHE to a somewhat less active family (not enough time to explain the situation. Maybe in the next e-mail) who's son is 18 and really wants to serve a mission. We played "Do You Love Your Neighbor" and we also played another game involving rhythm and you also had to make signs like an animal. I won the latter game and I did pretty well at "Do You Love Your Neighbor". It was really fun! I gave a talk in sacrament meeting this past Sunday. It was pretty sweet!
 
Anyway time's flying and my session's almost up.
 
LOVE YOU ALL,
 
Elder Boothe
 
 The tarantula owned by a less active Tolleson family

I hate spiders, especially huge ones. 

 Me and Sister Archuleta, one of the members that we lived with.

The Ghostbusters got busted! 

 The cool, tricked out Ghostbusters van

1 comment:

  1. Wow! A Ghostbusters vehicle. How often does that happen? You were in the right place at the right time. You sound happy to be in Peoria with Elder Kelley as your companion. The only thing that could be better is to not be in a bike area, but that is not new to you. It is very hot here, but not nearly what it is in Phoenix. Take care, Elder Boothe. Love you very much. Gma.B.

    ReplyDelete