Monday, June 11, 2012

Stomach Problems and the B.R.A.T. Diet

Dear family and friends,
          This week was an incredibly slow week. The reason why is because I've been sick since last Wednesday. I stayed home basically from Wednesday till yesterday. I got the worst case of diarrhea that I've ever had in my life! Wednesday through Friday were pure agony and then on Saturday I thought I was all better and then NOPE I get really bad, if not worse. I almost had to see the doctor I got so bad! I've never missed so many days of work before in my life! Elder Wood was cooped up inside our place all day long. I thank Heavenly Father that Sister Archuleta's a nurse. She gave me a bunch of stuff like Imodium and "Hemorrhoidal Suppositories" (those things are extremely weird but they help when there's excessive pain in your rectum which I had). I've also been hydrating like crazy and drinking LOTS of gatorade. Yesterday I didn't even eat any food, I just drank water and Gatorade the whole day. I got through five hours of church really well though. I'm almost completely better right now! I'm not having bowel movements so no diarrhea and as long as I'm in an air conditioned room I'll be okay i.e. I can teach and work. I can't ride a bike or do morning exercises and if I'm in the heat too long I'll melt so our back-up plans have been "recoup time" for the past few days. I'm on the B.R.A.T. diet along with eating lots of yogurt and mashed potatoes. I am SO THANKFUL that Mom taught me the B.R.A.T diet and everything that goes with it! Who knew it'd come in handy? I'm not sure how I got this severe a case of diarrhea. Sister Taylor and Archuleta, along with myself, think that it was a bacterial infection. I knew eventually I'd get better it was just a question of when, not if. The light at the end of the tunnel is within reach. The big focus of this week is to regain my strength so that we're not completely reliant on the car. We can't tract so our finding's been cut off which means once I get better we have to pound the pavement HARD! 
         I begged and pleaded with the Lord for help and relief and even got a priesthood blessing and there were seriously scary moments throughout this whole experience. I read an article in the Ensign by Elder Bednar on "the enabling power of the Atonement" and how through Christ's Atonement we can be strengthened to bear our burdens and to meet our challenges head-on. He gave several examples throughout the scriptures: Nephi receiving strength to "burst the bands with which he was bound" when Laman and Lemuel tied him up, he gave Alma the older and his people strength to meet their burdens when Amulon and his followers enslaved them (Mosiah 24:15), He gave Alma and Amulek strength to break the bands with which they were bound and then even provided a way for their escape by causing the prison doors to tumble. Elder Bednar even gave the example of Dan Jones praying for the Lord to strengthen his stomach so that he could handle buffalo hide while the pioneers were stranded in the wilderness with nothing else to eat. I feel right now like that's what's happening to me. My sickness hasn't been wholly cured yet but I'm getting better little-by-little and now that the worst of it is over it's onward and upward towards a steady recovery. 
         I also felt like the Lord answered my prayers at church yesterday. There were literally several testimonies that point-blank stated "I know the Lord answers prayers". Wow! What an answer! I felt like Heavenly Father was saying "I answer prayers Elder Boothe. You will recover from this and you will serve an honorable full-time mission". If that wasn't enough in Gospel Principles one of the members related how he has cromes and kidney stones and that he takes a lot of "annoying pain meds" just so he doesn't crawl up in a ball from severe pain and agony. The teacher, Brother Tuggle, (who is hands down the best Gospel principles teacher I've ever come across) pointed out that when we're going through trials our view is "too myopic" meaning it's too short-sighted. We think about how the trial affects us while the Lord is aware of how us handling a trial with patience and perserverance can be an inspiration to another. Brother Tuggle mentioned that maybe the brother with kidney stones and cromes (spelling?) has that particular trial so that he can be an inspiration and example to someone else about how to endure faithfully through hard times. Well the brother inspired me for sure. I only have to put up with diarrhea for a few days, he has to worry about his infirmities FOR LIFE. If I thought my problems were bad he sure showed me. 
         Right now I could really use your prayers for my recovery. The main key is not to push myself too hard. Since we're reliant on the car due to my current condition Sister Taylor said we could have additional "medical miles" for a couple of days. Please don't be too shocked or worried. I didn't post this to cause alarm. I'm just telling you how my week went. I love you all very much and I am glad to hear from you all. I am grateful for your care, your concern, your support and you love. It really means a lot to me. I testify that the Lord watches over us and strengthens in times of trials.
        It is my testimony that trials are NOT a sign of God not loving us. He knows us. He knows us individually and EVERYTHING He does is for our benefit and our gain. (2 Nephi 26:24) I testify that our Savior died for us so that we might live again in the presence of our Father. His Atonement is real and when we access that precious gift our lives change and our desires harmonize to match His will. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about the bacterial infection.Extremely miserable and painful. I am praying for your full recovery. Your testimony about trials was very good, and true. You have learned so much! My prayers are for your recovery and whole health. I know your great attitude will carry you far. We all love you very much. GmaB.

    ReplyDelete