Monday, June 4, 2012

A Better Week

Dear family and friends,

       Your prayers concerning me and Elder Wood getting along have been answered. We're getting along fine. I followed President Taylor's and Elder Grasley's advice and it seems to be working out alright. Here's what I was told:

  •   Don't demand change out of him. Just quietly try to mentor him
  •   Love life the way it is, not the way you want it to be
  •   Be humble.
  •   Be flexible. My way or the highway doesn't work. Try doing things differently.

            So far it's been working. I look at the things I didn't like about him and they're very small or inconsequential things that don't matter. It's hard finding things to talk about on our way to different appointments but at least we're not fighting so we're moving along in the right direction.

            Speaking of Elder Grasley I went on exchanges with him last Friday. He's my district leader and I love the guy! He sang in the BYU Men's chorus so he's a phenomenal singer, he loves Broadway musicals like I do and we both served in the Phoenix stake so we knew a lot of the same missionaries. We had a lot to talk about and we busted out with "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat", "The Phantom of the Opera", "Wicked" etc.

           We didn't get a lot of work done that way mostly because the addresses of the referrals we received either didn't exist or weren't home but that day flew by super fast! Grasley and I had a blast and I think something that stuck out to me during that exchange is that I didn't get down or discouraged the whole day! I finally learned not to get discouraged when appointments cancel or when you don't have a lot of work going on! That's been a HUGE help to me and Grasley even pointed that out. Grasley said he was impressed with me. I have his trust. Those were his words. I couldn't believe it but apparently I struck him as being a very good missionary. That means a lot to me.

           So here's a couple of funny things about our area that I keep forgetting to mention:

1) The Archuleta's (the member family that we live with) don't have a whole lot of dishes or cook. We use paper plates and paper cups. They have plastic utensils but I don't use those a whole lot. They also don't cook either. They put things in the microwave or in the toaster oven but they don't cook. I've only seen two instances of the Archuleta's cooking also. I point this out only because it's very unusual to what I've normally observed. I respect their line of thinking though behind it.

2)  There's a restaurant in our area that gives us free food! It's a place called Pete's Fish & Chips. Pretty self explanatory but they also have burgers. If only it could be a pizza place. Sigh. It's still amazing that we actually can order whatever we want and not have to pay for it! It took me a little bit to wrap my head around it.

We had stake conference this past week. President Taylor spoke at the adult session. I was impressed and I loved the spirit that was present at that meeting. There were also a lot of recent converts who spoke on that. Well before I close I just wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYAN!

Love,

Elder Boothe

Elders Boothe and Grasley
 
I think it's cool how people in Arizona carry tortoises around. They're fun to watch sometimes. 

 One of the referrals given to us was a family called (drum roll please) The Booth's! I hope I get to baptize them.

No comments:

Post a Comment