Monday, April 23, 2012

A Hot Week in the Life of Elder Boothe‏

Dear family and friends,
 
      As you've all observed the temperatures here in Phoenix are rising to their legendary Arizona height. And it only gets worse from here. I heard from someone that Wednesday was supposed to go down to the 80's. Just like last summer though, I'm in a bike area. Fortuantely I ride the buses A LOT and they're air conditioned very well. Time to bust out the Camelbak bladder again. I'll probably get sunscreen too again. Boy this brings back memories from last year. Trust me I'm going to be praying for the weather you're all getting because 100 - 117 feels like a living inferno. Esta bien! I'll be fine and taken care of. I've already been through one Arizona summer. I'll be able to last another. 
 
      This past Sunday seems to be a Boothe speak fest because Dad, Becca and Ryan all spoke in sacrament meeting and so did I. Elder Buttars and I spoke in church yesterday. As I mentioned last week my topic was on the power of righteous judgments. I thought for some weird reason that we were going to speak for 20 minutes but when we asked Brother Santiago, the second counselor in the bishopric, he only said 10 - 12 minutes. I spent a lot of time cutting things out since I could've easily spoken for 20 minutes. I timed myself three times during the week. I even went to Tommy's house and gave the talk there. Tommy and McKenna gave a lot of helpful advice and I rewrote my talk Sunday morning. Overall, I felt like I did well not only in delievering the talk along with the material and the delievery, but I also stayed within my designated time allotment. The members appreciated it which made me feel even better, one of the members being the bishop. Elder Buttars spoke on forgiveness and people liked that talk too. Bishop Osborne came up afterwards (I spoke first then Elder Buttars spoke. There were no youth speakers.) and reiterated what Elder Buttars said. He also showered us with praise which at least gives me the impression that he likes us if anything. Our gospel principles teacher (a phenomenal recent convert who's on fire with missionary work by the way) used both of our talks in her lesson today about "The Final Judgment" after the second coming.
 
        During Elders quorum Eric and Edward Bailon received the Aaronic Priesthood from their father, Zenaido Bailon. Holy cow! That was an amazing experience! The Spirit wrapped around me like a warm blanket and the experience strengthened their family. Right after Zenaido conferred the priesthood to Eric Bishop Osborne invited Eric to stand in the circle as Zenaido was about to confer Edward the Aaronic Priesthood. The Bailon's are all excited about passing the sacrament, Henry is excited about passing the sacrament (and coming to church. He came back from being out of town. He liked church a lot)! Overall, our recent converts are doing fantastic! In addition to that our Elders quorum lesson was on Elder Bednar's talk on "the power of the Priesthood". It couldn't have been better timed! That had to be one of the best Elders quorums I've ever had! 
 
         Well I need to sign off. I know you're all praying for me and I'm praying for all of you.
 
LOVE YOU SO MUCH, 
 
Elder Boothe

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elder Boothe - Praying for you to endure the weather as you did last summer. How blessed you are to be seeing the fruits of your labors in the converts enthusiasm and work. Love you, GmaB.

    ReplyDelete