Monday, June 27, 2011

Farewell President Beck, Hello President Taylor

Dear family,
 
This week for me was pretty slow but it wasn't as slow as last week. It ended on a hopeful note, I'll explain what I mean later on. We've continued to visit Ricky about once a week. We're trying to work in all the people who want to be a part of his teaching but are finding that there aren't enough principles in Lesson 5 for that to happen. Elder Ware and I are working on it. Just yesterday Ricky passed the sacrament for the very first time! It was an amazing experience! He was a little confused about where to go but the teachers and deacons were extremely helpful and supportive so he did alright. Next week he'll be saying the sacrament prayers. We showed him where they were so he could practice. The poor guy's been swamped with work throughout the week (guess why he's an air conditioning installation guy).
 
Another really exciting event that happened this Wednesday was Zone Conference! This was President Beck's last zone conference! It was pretty emotional for the most part and we did several things out of the ordinary like sign the "APM flag" which is a giant black flag that has our mission's logo on it, it basically looks like a giant black T-shirt. We also wrote "Beck-isms" (sayings and phrases that President Beck either uses a lot or is well known for saying) on a poster board. As another exciting treat President Beck gave us all portable DVD players with a Preach My Gospel DVD called "The District". For those who don't know "The District" is basically a DVD put out by the church where real missionaries get filmed and basically the DVD is about them applying the principles of Preach My Gospel. It's styled in exactly the same way as a reality TV show but it's extremely spiritual. We're allowed to use the DVD's for our studies and it's pretty cool! My new mission president is supposed to be flying in this week. Interviews with him are next week. Since you're all going to be asking me about him here's what I know about my new mission president:
 
  • His name is President Taylor.
  • He used to be a writer and editor for Deseret News.
  • He's served in a bunch of different church callings
  • He was born and raised in Provo Utah
Not really a whole lot of information but that will change really soon. President Beck spent a long time telling us not to miss him and to give President Taylor our full allegiance and support.
 
As I mentioned before this week ended on a hopeful note. What I meant by that statement is that we have three new less actives we'll be teaching soon, and a part member that just returned from vacation. We haven't set any appointments with them yet but once we get around to it we'll have more people to work with. Another one of our investigators just came back from California but will be leaving again for another three weeks. So basically we'll have way more people to teach within the upcoming weeks. As a missionary I've come to dislike holidays and now summer vacation because everybody's gone for long periods of time. There really aren't a whole lot of things to do if you don't have many people to teach but like I said before we've got some more people to work with so hopefully things get interesting. Our lessons to the members continue to roll on and the more people we teach the greater the likelihood for referrals there will be. We just have to keep hoping and praying.
 
 Oh and on Tuesday I killed my first scorpion. Several of our members go scorpion hunting since there's so many of them and one of our members, after our lesson with them, went looking for one and found it underneath a rock. Scorpions glow in the dark which is pretty cool. I picked up a rock and eagerly smashed the darn arachnid. It was fun. Well that's been my week. I love you all and continue to pray for you each and every day. I thank you all for your prayers and support.
 
Love,
 
Elder Boothe

No comments:

Post a Comment