Monday, June 6, 2011

Ricky, the Phoenix Arizona Temple and 100ish Temperatures

Dear family,
 
This week's been rather interesting and I'm glad that everyone's doing great! Yes the weather's getting up there but so far it really hasn't been that bad. Even though Dad said that it was in the 100's I can only recall one day (Sunday) actually being in the 100's. The members said that it was 106 degrees on Sunday. The weather for the rest of the week has been in the 90's. Trust me I can feel the difference between 90ish degree weather and 100ish degree weather. 90's feel great 100's = near death. According to Elder Ware (who came out to the mission field in August. His first day was 118 degrees) once the weather goes up to the 100s you can't feel a significant difference between 106 degrees and 118 degrees. He says that it's only when we hear what the temperature is that we start worrying. Basically the placebo effect. On the one hand I'd rather not find out since I've been lucky these past few weeks. On the other hand, if it does come around I'd like to see if the placebo effect for temperature works or if that's just Elder Ware's opinion. 
 
Enough with the temperature! That's in my Circle of Concern, not my Circle of Influence (wink-wink Ryan)! I may not be able to control the weather but I can control how much water I drink, what we can do to stay out of the heat and how to handle it if I'm in the heat. Besides there are more important things to talk about! On Saturday Elder Ware and I saw the broadcast of the groundbreaking of the Phoenix Arizona Temple. The construction for the Phoenix Temple was originally announced by President Monson two years ago but due to the massive opposition that was mounted against it the construction had to be delayed until now. It was a neat experience and everybody over here is excited about the building of the new temple. I think it's estimated that it'll be built in about 2 years. The bishops in both wards read a paper over the pulpit that was from the opposition stating that they will no longer harass us, picket the temple etc. It's a miracle to be sure. I even saw President Beck and Sister Beck there when all the General Authorities started shoveling dirt. President Beck explained that some of the other missionaries collected 182 dollars worth of coins from tracting and contributed it to the temple fund. After the broadcast Sister Wright took me and Elder Ware out to Panda Express. Elder Ware LOVES Panda Express and I like it a lot too so neither of us turned her down. What would you do if a really sweet lady took you out to a good restaurant? You can't say no to that. Ricky was there too. Elder Ware texted him the night before about it and Ricky came in a golf cart.
 
Later on that Saturday Ricky passed his baptismal interview! RICKY ROCKS! He's still on track for June 11th! Brother Crabtree will be baptizing him, Elder Ware will be confirming him and I get to give the closing prayer. Ricky couldn't make up his mind who would say the opening and closing prayer so Elder Ware and I played rock-paper-scissors over it. The winner got to give the opening prayer. Brother Crabtree wanted us to do a cage-fight over it but I don't think President Beck would approve so we settled for a more civilized way to solve complicated issues. I am SO grateful Ricky's getting baptized! I haven't had a baptism since mid January when Elder Bell and I baptized the Hargis's. I'm telling you, Ricky is 24 karat sold gold. When he came to church this last Sunday I taught him how to tie a tie. I taught him a special kind of knot called the Double Windsor. I learned the Double Windsor from Elder Bell. Teaching Ricky how to tie a tie brought back fond memories including the memory of when Garit first taught me how to tie a tie when I was 12 (yes I still remember that bro-ski).
 
It's good that Brother Crabtree's going to be doing the baptism since not only has he never done one but he's a convert! He's been a convert for 12 years and I have to say that he and Sister Crabtree are AMAZING! Brother Crabtree says that Ricky's a lot like he was so it'll be great for him to do it. That'll be an awesome memory! We come over every Sunday evening to the Crabtree's and teach their kids and I have loved coming over to their house every single time I get the opportunity. Sister Crabtree is an AWESOME cook and they know all too well what my eating habits are like so they make plenty of food. Sister Crabtree said that Elder Ware and I are "her favorite companionship". I blushed at that statement because they've had a lot of missionaries over so for them to say that it really means something. She says that I crack her up too. Oh Sister Crabtree, she's crazy yet she's also the type of woman that the church needs. We've had most of Ricky's lessons in Brother Crabtree's home so it's been a really good bonding experience for all of us. Sister Crabtree already got Ricky his triple combination and Bible with his name engraved on both of them.
 
Brother Wright got called as the first counselor of the Bishopric. I feel sorry for the guy. Church leadership has never been appealing to me. Never has, never will.
 
Love you all and I love you a lot,
 
Elder Boothe

No comments:

Post a Comment