Dear family and friends,
This week has definitely been an interesting one for me and I feel like I have a lot to talk about so let's get started.
My district leader, Elder Beard, is leaving for home today. We went to his going away party on Monday. that was pretty cool. On Tuesday Elder Bell and I had lunch with Brother Kobel (see the last post for details about his awesome life). Like the last time we went out with him we ate lunch at a fancy sit-down restaurant that makes Asian food. Only this time we ate sushi. I decided to actually try some along with scallops since we were at a fancy place that made Asian food. It's not everyday that a missionary goes to one of these. Even though I nearly threw up three times I was able to force myself to eat the sushi this time. I did the same thing with scallops since I wanted to try something new. Yes that's right family Elder Boothe intentionally ordered sea food, and ate it all. This is a really big accomplishment for me since I HATE seafood and guess what? I still do! The only difference is that at least I tried it some more. This experience once again affirms my disliking of seafood. Our chef, as you can see from the pictures, is a guy named Chieko. He was really cool and he made our food in front of us. He did all sorts of tricks right in front of us, one of them being that he flipped egg yolks without breaking them. I felt like a man's man after forcing myself to eat all the scallops, even though my stomach hated it for the rest of the day. I could see me in my mind's eye climbing Mount Everest in the future.
That same day (this was Tuesday) we had dinner at the Pearsons. The Pearsons are an interesting family their youngest daughter is a less active member. They look old but they act young and hyper. Oh and they aren't afraid of speaking of inappropriate stuff in front of the missionaries, but we won't go into that. They have a really huge dog by the name of Magnum, and a gray parrot that didn't talk when we came over. We're going over there again to teach their wayward less active daughter, who looks and acts like Kacy Smith.
On Wednesday and Friday I went on exchanges. I took over the day both times. On Wednesday we biked the entire day. Elder Bell estimated that we biked about 30 miles. On Friday I went with my zone leader, Elder Angelos. He's a fantastic missionary who gave me a lot of great hints and tips about missionary work and how I can improve.
On Saturday Elder Bell and I taught a less active family known as the Hein's. The Hein's, as you can see, are really big into fantasy and are very creative people. I LOVE their house. It's so full of fantasy stuff! Sister Hein made us taco's with a homemade deep fried shell. It was fantastic! We watched the Joseph Smith movie with them (the new onw that's an hour long) and we invited their 9 year old daughter Lynzee to take the lessons. She hasn't been baptized yet. We'll probably have to re-baptize their 19 year old daughter Lonnee. Then the following evening I went to the other stake's stake conference. Why you ask? Because Elder Anderson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles was there. It was quite a special occasion. I went there with someone I'm teaching.
Time's running out.
I love you all,
Elder Boothe
Grant,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to see you are doing very well on the mission. Finding families that you relate to is so important, building a bond of trust helps the spirit flow better as you teach and I hope that happens with the Heins. Sometimes all you people need is a nudge in the right direction. Just make sure you have family/members there when you teach the girls!
Dan Taylor