Monday, March 7, 2011

Chinese Food, A Baptismal Date and Plenty of Emails

Dear family,
 
         I'm sorry that I've exaggerated the lack of e-mails. I actually feel like I get a lot of them. I'm sorry that I said that Garit didn't e-mail me. He did. I must have had a brain fart. Right now I feel very supported by everyone in the family so great job. You can relax. Myldsmail.net hasn't given me any more problems so things are going good on that note. It's great to hear from you all on that note and I know some elders who don't get that many e-mails which reminds me of all the love and support I get from my family so I'd like to thank you all and I'd like to encourage you to keep it up. 
 
     The first thing I have to say about this week is that I HAVE AN INVESTIGATOR WITH A BAPTISMAL DATE! Raven Stern's getting baptized April 23rd! OH MAN I'M SO EXCITED! She is really golden too. She's been accepting everything we've given her and she's keeping her commitments! I haven't had an investigator with a baptismal date for a long time now. It feels really good! This will be my first transfer where I didn't have a baptism taking place. I may not like the feeling but who cares? I've got Raven Stern and that's what's keeping me going! Raven showed up to church 20 minutes early! I've never had an investigator do that before!  She even brought her two kids with her too! One of them's nine years old which is fantastic for us! Hopefully her dad will be supportive of her getting baptized. The last time we stopped by Raven's house she gave us food! She's a really thrifty lady. She saves coupons and uses them a lot. She says that she's gotten $50 worth of stuff down to less than a dollar because of all the coupons she's used. That's impressive! Most impressive! She stocks up on food so she had plenty to give. I was moved by her sacrifice.
 
       The weather over here is really heating up! It gets into the mid-seventies during the day and at night it's usually about 68 degrees. There go the jackets. I really liked wearing my suit but I also like not getting overheated. If you're going to check the weather check it in Surprise not Phoenix. They are two different cities altogether though I am definitely appreciative of all the thought that gets put into it. 
 
        Raven Stern isn't the only one being generous to us. On Friday one of the members took us out to eat at a restaurant called Pei Wei's (pronounced pay-ways) which is basically a fancy sit down version of Panda Express. He invited us out to lunch but then he forgot, which freaked me out because I thought he stood us up. He came late and paid for our food. This member (a.k.a Brother Kobel) sets up the sound systems for the concerts of all the major artists. He's done Michael Jackson, David Archuleta, Josh Groban, you name it, he's set up the sound for them. He even showed us pictures of all the people he's worked for. THAT'S CRAZY COOL! He doesn't like it though when people ask him to get autographs or signatures from other people. Nevertheless this guy has officially made it to my uber-awesome list. He also wants to take us out again to some sushi place (I'd love to see the look on Ryan's face) and not just any sushi place this is supposed to be real, authentic, legit, the works. 
 
         Another act of generosity that happened to us this week is that one of our investigators used her food stamps to buy us groceries. She paid for everything! That's so awesome! No we didn't take advantage of her and here's why: Her super lazy husband/boyfriend (Hard to tell now-a-days unless you ask) finally found a truck and so he flew out with her to pick it up. He flew out to Missouri to pick it up and they're driving back today. So since he's getting a job they're not going to qualify for food stamps anymore which I think is why they were okay. This lady (whose name is Denise) looks, acts and sounds like Aunt Laurey. It's really, really scary. I could see Denise and Aunt Laurey being best friends really quick. Denise has even worn clothes that Aunt Laurey or Molly would wear. She's even about Aunt Laurey's height! I have yet to tell Denise of this coincidence. 
 
         Just before basketball today Elder Bell and I went out for breakfast from this old couple who help teach mission prep. classes. We went to the Village Inn which in my opinion is basically a fancier version of Denny's. The food was delicious though!
 
         So in addition to Raven's awesomeness another cool thing happened this week: We had 7 new investigators! 7! That's so awesome! I'm really excited about finding all these new people. Now whether or not they show up for their appointments and stick is another matter entirely but at least some of them have to stay. We even found someone when we were going out to visit the list of names that one of our bishop's sent us. This new investigator also has family who are members of the church. I am reminded of when the Savior told the apostles to cast their nets on the other side of the boat and the apostle's had so many fishes that their nets could not contain the fishes. That's how I'm feeling right now. I just hope that feeling continues. 
 
        I love you all and pray for you continually.
 
Love,
 
Elder Boothe

No comments:

Post a Comment