Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Emergency Transfer to Phoenix!

Dear family and friends,
 
I have really big shocking news: You ready? I'm being emergency transferred! Don't worry, I didn't do anything wrong. I can explain: There are five brand spanking new missionaries from the MTC that are coming into the mission who are visa-waiters. They're going to the Ukraine and I'm not sure how long they're going to be here. Elder Ware's going to be one of the trainers! HA HA to him I so totally said he was going to be a district leader trainer and I was right! I'm moving to an area known as South Mountain, which is actually in the city of Phoenix and from what I hear is the complete opposite of my current area in terms of wealth. Supposedly it's a humble, yet very rough place to be in. According to Elder Mortimer, who was there sometime after I left him, "that place is on fire" so I'm looking forward to all the baptisms that should be coming up. Another notable thing to mention is that my new companion, Elder Snook, is going home in three weeks! According to Elder Beeston, the only missionary that Elder Snook's trained, he "acts Asian", has terrible flatulence, horrible luck on a bike and loves anime. I think I'm going to get along with him swimmingly. I'm a little nervous at the prospect of having to learn the map of my area within three weeks given that in the past it's usually taken me about three months before I get the hang of my current area. It happened in this area and it happened in Surprise. However, I'm not that scared and if there's one thing that my mission's taught me (and I can assure you all that it's taught me a heck of a lot more than that) it's taught me to confront my weaknesses and the current problems at hand and it's taught me how to deal with them so I'm not too worried. Ether 12:27 also comes to mind:
 
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."
 
Gosh I love you Moroni. That scripture's accurately defines what my mission's been about and it's a good way for me to reflect on what it's meant for me this past year, which by the way I hit my year mark officially last Thursday. Yesterday we had to stay in all day because p-day ends at 6 pm and we were supposed to be inside by 6 pm due to all the trick-or-treating that came about. It was pretty boring since we had nothing to do. I decided to celebrate hitting my year mark by ordering a pizza. A few hours later I got a call from President Taylor. My line of thinking at the time was "Gee I wonder why he's calling us" and then he dropped the bomb on both of us and as a result Elder Ware and I are in a state of shock.
 
Elder Mortimer (a.k.a my old trainer back in Cottonwood) just became my zone leader and I never got to go on exchanges with him, the Carpios started coming back to church and we received two mormon.org referrals. It seems like every time I leave, I leave right when things are going good again. I hope that doesn't happen in South Mountain.
 
Another thing worth noting is that on Friday we met with Shanna and Christina again! In case you've all forgotten (which I'm guessing means all of you) Shanna and Christina are less actives that we've been working with since I came into this area. When we met Christina she was super timid. She wouldn't answer questions or talk during the lesson unless Shanna, her mom, forced her which even then she still didn't talk that much. They both worked on Sundays so it was a huge issue to try and get them to come to church. Finally Christina was able to work out those scheduling conflicts and she was able to make it for a couple of Sundays. Then after that we were able to get her to go to the YSA (young single adult) ward and she seemed to enjoy herself. Then she headed back up to college and we thought we weren't going to see her again. Since Shanna's schedule wouldn't let up she still wasn't coming to church and she was doing everything else that she was supposed to be doing so we stopped visiting her until she came to church. Well she came last week although she disappeared after sacrament meeting and we never saw her again she texted us and told us that Christina was going to visit her this last Friday so she invited us to come back. I have to say that I am utterly amazed at the change that Christina's gone through from the day that we met her till now where she: 
 
  1. Doesn't work on Sundays at all.
  2. Attends four institute classes and is on schedule to graduate from institute in the next semester after this
  3.  Regularly attends FHE's. On a random not her mannerisms are eerily similar to Tristine's. I think you two would get along. She owns a cat named Mira and she likes cats too.  
  4. She started a crochet club.
  5. She knows what we're talking in terms of the scriptures
  6. She's going to get her temple recommend
We took pictures with her after the lesson. She's the lady in the middle with black stringy hair. I honestly thought I was smiling when I took those pictures. No wonder Shanna told me to "change my smile".
 
I went to both of the trunk-or-treats in my wards and one of the other less active ladies that I'm working with, Sister Darne, showed up. She dressed up as "Dog the Bounty Hunter". I had no idea that such a show existed before I came out on my mission. I've been wanting to change the picture on my mormon.org profile so Elder Ware and I took pictures which is why there are two pictures of me in p-day clothes. Oh and in case you couldn't tell Elder Ware cut my hair again.
 
Well that should be enough news for now. Please don't tell President Taylor that I brought up being emergency transferred. Oh and could someone please nag Garit into e-mailing me? I know he's been busy with the marriage thing but I need to hear from him.
 
Love,
 
Elder Boothe

No comments:

Post a Comment